Summer Eye Care Tips
Now that summer has arrived it’s time to safeguard your eyes from summertime hazards.
Here are some tips to remain safe in the sun:
- Get sunglasses with 100% UV Protection – and wear them! If your glasses don’t have 100% UV protection to guard your eyes from harmful UV damage, they may be resulting in more damage than benefit. Be aware that sufficient UV protection doesn’t have to cost more – plenty of more affordable brands give complete UV blockage.
- Opt for shades with more surface area. In the realm of sunglasses, the larger the better. Try to seek a pair with broad lenses and wraparound frames.
- Wear a broad sun hat. A wide brimmed hat will deflect the sun before it reaches your eyes.
- Wear sunglasses when it is cloudy. Even when the sun is hiding behind the clouds, harmful UV light is still able to peek through the clouds and do damage to your eyes. Don’t let a cloudy day deceive you.
- Keep a second pair of sunglasses. You never know when a mishap can happen causing your glasses to break or get lost. Having an emergency pair will save you from being stranded without eye protection.
- Stay hydrated. In order to ensure that you are hydrated, drink at least 2 liters of water a day. This will keep your skin and eyes moist also.
- Stay inside during the middle of the day. Stay inside when possible especially between the hours of 11 am and 3 pm when the sun is at its strongest and the highest levels of UV are in the air.
- Consider purchasing polarized lenses. Polarized lenses minimize the reflection off of surfaces such as water. Perfect for a day at the beach or pool, they provide more comfortable vision during outdoor activities.
- When participating in outdoor activities such as boating, sitting by a campfire or hiking, be sure to use proper eye protection to avoid injury.
- Apply sunscreen carefully. If applied near the eyes it can enter the eye and cause irritation and burning.